July 30, 2014

I did my roommate’s makeup the other day! (Video)

You remember my roommate/housemate? I ranted about her in the past, but we’re on good terms now. Well, we were never onbad terms; there were just times that I found her roommate etiquette a bit…off. But past judgements aside, she’s a very nice person! This past week I’ve even gotten to play around with her face a bit! ^_^

She’s not a girly girl, so she didn’t want anything too dramatic. So instead, we went for a pretty, professional-ish look. Not quite a bare-faced look, if you know what I mean. One that makes you look pretty and put together (and maybe a widdle bit sexsy if you let down your hair), but still focusing on your natural beauty! It could double as a nighttime look too, I think, depending on how vivid your colors are. :3

And although I typically lean towards Asian Asian style, this look turned out more like Asian American. I reckon Asians in Asia would go for an even subtler look (with bushier eyebrows), especially for business.

Anyways, here is the video I made ^^ I can’t say I truly consider it a tutorial since I don’t explain much, but I do show the process! I blurred myself because I wasn’t wearing makeup and my skin has been rebellious lately :< Besides, the focus is my model, not me!

Watch in HD please~


Side Note:
When my boyfriend watched the video he said I sounded mean for commenting on her “dark skin” and saying that I chose the BB Cream because “it was the darkest one I own.” My mouth dropped when he told me this—I hadn’t realized that at all! I only meant to explain why I chose that particular BB Cream and why I highlighted the way I did. But he was right, it did sound really judgmental. I’ll put it out there that that was not my intention at all!!

It was my first time putting makeup on someone else (aside from my sister), so it was quite a learning experience. When she first asked me, I eagerly slapped on everything that I loved: my Etude House watercolor blush, my nose highlighters, and my pink lipsticks. Needless to say, it didn’t look as great as I thought it would…And that’s when I realized that what looks good on my skin tone (as well as how much) doesn’t necessarily work the same on her skin tone.

You’d think, “Well, duh!” but I somehow it didn’t hit me. Because in my mind, there are no rules to makeup. Do whatever will make you happy to look in the mirror! There’s no reason to be confined to certain colors based on your skin color, which is something you have no power over. If you’re determined, there’s bound to be a way to make it work. And while I still stand by this, it’s the very reason I naively used too much baby pink on her.

Thankfully she was very cool and laughed it off. She’s a very matter-of-factly girl and freely admitted that her skin is much darker than mine. That’s another reason why I didn’t catch myself referring to her as “dark.” I certainly didn’t mean it in an offensive way, and she didn’t take it that way. And since we’re not strangers, there was less pressure to dance around semantics.

So I definitely felt bad after my boyfriend told me, especially since I am sure there are people out there who resent their own skin color, but please don’t be offended by this careless phrasing. I’ll be more mindful next time :3


On a lighter note! I have a lot of fun playing with makeup and I only wish I had more extra faces to play with. My roommate is introducing me to a friend of hers today and I’m going to try Korean makeup on her. If all goes well I can put up an “ulzzang” tutorial for Caucasian faces! Suuuuper excited about that. (And I use quotes because “ulzzang makeup” is really just regular Korean makeup.) Hopefully the title “Ulzzang Tutorial for Caucasian Faces” is acceptable?

Do let me know what you thought of the video! It was my first lengthy video featuring people, so it’s definitely not perfect. But I hope to make more videos later, so friendly feedback would be very helpful! Thank you~~ :3

24 comments:

  1. It's good that you guys are cool now. It'd be a bummer if you are on bad terms with your own housemates because living under the same roof requires tolerance and understanding. And people have their own quirks that some people just won't understand. I'm mostly blabbering, but.. you get the point.

    She has such clear skin, and a beautiful smile to boot! In my own opinion, using the term 'dark' and 'light' is not a problem at all. We usually use it to describe colours and what difference does it make when using it to describe makeup because it mostly consists of multiple range of hues and colours.
    Unless people use the term 'blacker' or 'whiter'. What is up with that. So many words to describe tones and you can only come up with that? Sheesh.

    Sorry for the rant! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get your point! It's very true, and more than anything it makes it easier on you not to resent your roommate. I also think she has become more mindful of her noise level and surprise guests after the past events :3 (There have been really embarrassing incidents where neighbors got mad at us ><)
      I like your analogy that makeup is basically just colors, so you should be able to use the terms light and dark. I just feel like Americans tend to be very sensitive towards racial-related topics, and that often includes skin color. I can't remember why exactly, but I somehow came to think that the word "tan" or "deep" is a more politically-correct term than "dark." But gosh, blacker and whiter? I get that in some languages "dark skin" is literally translated as "black skin", but if people do that in English...Who does that?! O.O

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha Airi the mischievous neighbor :P

      Thanks for your insight on this issue! Can't wait 'till your next beauty video <3

      Delete
    3. Lol nooooo it wasn't me that did the bad things! ><

      And thank you! I hope you like it >3<

      Delete
  2. Kya it's so nice that you get on well with each other now! So glad to hear:) I totally understand you because in study time I live in dorm with two roommates. Some their features of character I don't actually like but I can put up with them because I'm the only extrovert there and I unite us all ^^
    And at least they are good people with their own lifes so you can choose - do you want to be the part of their life or not :) As I see you decided to be her part and that's cool! You are so nice person!

    And make up is really cool. It is sexy and formal at the same time :)
    I always adore your makeups ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're an extrovert! :D I'm the opposite, I'm an introvert >< But I'm trying! That's why I started talking to her more hehe :3 I need your extrovert strength! :D

      And thank you! Sexy and formal at the same time is both a flattering and accurate description, I think! ^_^ Ddengkyu~~!

      Delete
  3. She is such a beauty! I think you did a great job at doing you roommate's make up!
    I wouldn't worry about the title of your planned tutorial. I did something similar a while ago and no one found it offensive. Granted, I don't think I did a decent enough job for it to be considered ulzzang, but I'd love to hear your opinion, now that I think about it. :) Please ignore my weird poses, I tried to look cute, haha! > http://www.missblueeyes.com/2014/06/tutorial-sweet-pink-ulzzang-make-up-look.html
    Elina | missblueeyes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elina!
      And I don't think your poses are weird, no judgement! :3 We all try to pose cute sometimes hehe~
      I think you did a great job! Your eyeliner wing is spot on, and the lip color you chose is perfect. I can totally imagine so many Korean girls wearing that bright pink lip color. No, I can remember seeing girls wear that color. :D

      Delete
  4. finally the video ^0^ , good job Airi, the tutorial is easy to understand XD I love the make up look, natural and elegant.
    cant wait to see ur next tutorial video XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaaaah finally?! Did I take that long? >o< Uh oh!
      I'm so glad you like it and could understand~ I will be sure to make more! Thank you for your encouragement Tori ^o^

      Delete
  5. What's the deal with calling someone's skin dark? That seems like something Asianish. Certainly no one here would get offended if you call them pale/dark/tanned. There are so many different shades of skin, why should any color be offensive?

    The makeup looks pretty! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. Skin comes in so many different colors, it shouldn't be offensive. But as you guessed, I was mostly thinking of Asians. Although I'm sure there are plenty reasons for anyone of any ethnicity to be insecure about their skin color, the one I am most familiar with is Asians. In my mind i was thinking mostly of young viewers who may possibly be very sensitive and insecure at the moment, and may have interpreted my statements as a passive aggressive humble brag (Oh look at me, I'm so pale, all my BB Creams are too light for her dark skin), especially since my roommate may not even be considered tan compared to others. So for me to call her dark, by extension could be like calling them really dark.

      And in line with this, I also wouldn't say that the term "dark" is so much offensive itself, as I was just looking out for sensitive viewers. But in the same way that you'd prefer to call someone "curvy" instead of "overweight," I think the term "tan skin" would be gentler than "dark skin." Again, it's not so much offensive as it is looking out for someone who may be sensitive or easily offended. It seems that most people may not mind, but just in case. ^^

      Hope that makes sense~~ But as you said, skin comes in all colors and there is beauty in every shade :3

      Delete
  6. Wow it looks good! I really want to try it, but I'm more Southeast Asian rather than East Asian. :')
    I wish you could make something for Southeast Asians too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 冬! I'm so happy you like it >.<
      And I"d love to do some looks for Southeast Asian faces! I just need a model! >.< Gah, that's why I need models! My own face isn't enough to help everyone!

      Delete
  7. I really learned a lot from your video! Thank you :)
    Also, I don't think you were being rude, just stating a fact. I wouldn't worry, it definitely didn't come across as rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I'm so honored :'D
      And whew, you interpreted it the way I meant it then. But I somehow feel that the word "tan," although not technically accurate for every situation, is more gentle of a term. I could be very wrong, but I've come to think of it similarly to how prefer to say "Caucasian" instead of "white people." White people is not necessarily offensive, but Caucasian is a gentler term.

      Delete
  8. You did well!
    I wish you could do my make-up too >"<
    LOVE
    ~AnRo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AnRo! I'd love to do your makeup too! :D

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial and final look Airi~! She looks so pretty ^^
    p.s You have the cutest voice!!! :3

    ~Misumipyon
    misumipyon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Misumipyon! ^_^ I wasn't always secure with my voice, but comments like this make me feel better about it, so thank you! >3<

      Delete
  10. I love this tutorial, the makeup looks amazing! And I would love to see that ulzzang tutorial you're mentioning!! :D

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla! I'm still editing the video, but hopefully it will be fun to watch~~! :D

      Delete
  11. I love this tutorial! >.< you were really gentle when putting makeup on her and OMG I'm jealous with her skin *Q* it's really flawless!
    I think you really did a good job because doing makeup for someone else is not really easy >.< (I tried doing makeup for my friend who also has dark skin like your roommate and I ended slapping those my favorite colors, in the end I was taken aback seeing the result was kinda unsatisfying? :/ )
    I love the lips color you chose for her! :D It's really pretty ^.^
    Hope to see another tutorial from you hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ! I'm so happy for your compliment on my technique, hehe~ I do try to be gentle on my skin! It always pains me when I see people rub in their BB Cream or other makeup as if they're beating their face ><
      And yes, her skin is nice...I envy her too TT
      Lol, we did the exact same thing then! That's exactly how my first try with my roommate went. I was so excited to show her the Etude House Watercolor blush so I put a bunch on her, only to be embarrassed at how weird it looked >< But it's very cool in that sense, realizing that totally opposite colors look better on each skin tone. The lipstick I used for her was light brown. It doesn't really look good on me, but it's fantastic on her! :D

      Thanks again! I hope I can make more too~~

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!